Thursday, November 01, 2001

Kids Favorite Songs 2

I was reminded Wednesday why I hate Elmo so much.

My daughter turned 2 on Oct. 30, and for her birthday, a friend of ours bought her "Kids Favorite Songs 2," an Elmo music tape that features popular children's songs like "This Old Man" and "The Wheels of the Bus."

The idea is nice, but Elmo is an awful host, and the actual performances are so unbelievably subpar for Sesame Street that I'm amazed it got to carry that label. Talk about diluting the brand! There was no innovation to speak of on most of the songs, the arrangements were way too simple, and it contains what I imagine are supposed to be cute little segments of real children trying to sing the songs.

Evangeline was mesmerized by the video, but I think the producers forgot that Sesame Street's greatest strength is that it entertains children without talking down to them, so adults can enjoy it too.

We have the 25th Anniversary Musical Celebration videotape, and I enjoy watching it with Evangeline or hearing it while I'm working in another room. Now I have to figure out how to specify to people that we'd prefer tapes like that one and not these cheesy "Elmo Presents" tapes.

No comments: