Monday, August 05, 2002

cucumbers are in season

I planted two hills of cucumbers earlier this year, even though I've never especially liked cucumbers from the store, because I could and I wanted to see if I could get them to grow well. (This is my garden's second year in its current spot, and I'm curious to see how things will grow with the compost I've been adding.)

The cucumbers have done fantastic. ALthough they spread out much farther than I expected, they've produced so many fruits that there's no way we're going to be able to eat them all. I just got a recipe for pickling that I want to try with some of the bigger ones. Others I'm going to take to the office tomorrow.

Have you ever heard organic gardeners claim their produce tastes better than what's at the supermarket? It's true. Like I said, I've never really liked store-bought cucumbers. We had one of my organically grown cucumbers tonight in a salad, and it was absolutely delicious. That's the first time I can remember saying that about a cucumber.

No comments: