Sunday, August 18, 2002

grace alliance church

This church -- affiliated with Timothy Christian School is on Ethel Road in Piscataway. We took the kids there this morning. John and Melissa Ickowski have been going there since they left Crosspointe, and so we thought it might be worth visiting.


The church is very friendly. A number of people came up and talked with us after ther service, and one or two even grabbed us before the service to welcome us and see how we were doing. They didn't even seem to mind too much that we know the Ickowskis, though I noticed the pastor did develop a twitch whenever I mentioned John by name.

Another plus was that they have the same after-service freneticism we all know and love from CGC. Evangeline and Isaac spent 20 or 30 minutes after the service running around the sanctuary and jumping up and down on the stage.

Worship was good, but a little too traditional for my tastes. A few hymns, which was nice -- I like hymns for their deeper theology, often lacking in praise chorsues -- but it was a little slow and less lively than I prefer. Same could be said of the church's overall appearance, if that matters to you. While there were a number of people dressed casually, it seems to be a fairly conservative church in appearance.

The sermon also didn't work for me or Natasha, though I realize that could be a matter of taste. The essential thrust as I saw it was a) the world sucks; and b) by submitting to Christ and the Holy Spirit we can be different. No practical application or suggestions of where Christ might want us to submit. It seemed to be more of an attitude shift the pastor was recommending, rather than actual change in lifestyle. The second should follow the first, but I was disappointed he didn't advocate it in his sermon. (Melissa Ickowski told me I should just start my own church since I'll never find one that I actually like. She might have a point.)

We talked afterward, though not about the sermon. Friendly guy, and he seemed genuinely interested in me as a person (not just as a visitor).

Seemed like a good church. Couldn't find a web site, though, so no link. 

No comments: