Sunday, August 18, 2002

jerky social workers

This is not meant to dis the honest, hard-working and dedicated people who serve as social workers. I recognize there are a lot of you out there, and I certainly don't mean to paint you all with the same brush just because of the 70 percent who are gibbering idiots.

Still, I have to share:

1) While our foster son was between caseworkers, the Division of Youth and Family Services was sending a driver to pick him up for visits. For (I presume) accountability purposes, a second person went with him in the car. When they arrived at our house to pick Isaac up, did one of them come to the door and knock? Of course not! Instead, they both sat in the car while the driver kept honking the horn and got progressively annoyed when we didn't realize that they were half an hour early.

t aggravates the bejesus out of me. I don't understand why I've kept records and reported problems to them if they don't even read the reports. Yesterday I spent about an hour on the phone trying to convince both my foster son's attorney and his caseworker that the biological parents should not be coming to our house to pick their son up for unsupervised visits. It would be nice if someone were to consult us before making such arrangements, you know? (I'm sure the birth parents said we would have no problem with it, but in journalism we have a rule that if Joe says his mother loves him, you need to check that with Joe's mother.)

Bleah. And the amazing thing is, they wonder why foster care has such a bad reputation.

No comments: