Wednesday, August 21, 2002

leaving the fold

The worship at my AoG church was phenomenal at the time I joined and remained pretty good by the time I left, although the pastor since has taken it in the direction of traditional ho-hymn that does nothing for me.

I decided to leave the AoG because of what I felt were unscriptural teachings about the baptism and gifts of the Holy Spirit, and about tithing, and because of various other flaws I explained back on the old forum: namely, an ungodly attitude toward the world; emphasis on experience at the expense of Scriptural understanding; misappropriation of the Torah for contemporary living and worship; and an out-and-out discouragement of creative, original and critical thinking. I can go into more detail; I just don't feel like writing it all out right now as I wind down from a late night at work. (It's almost 2 a.m.)

No comments: