Friday, January 31, 2003

Reports of progress Isaac has made

Isaac has visited us twice in the last month.

The first time he came to visit, he recognized me immediately, but kept his distance for a while, as if he was angry at me. That eventually passed, and he couldn't keep away from me. I'm guessing he did not appreciate being uprooted, and in some sense is angry at me for "abandoning" him. That was true before he left as well; he often was surly and unruly when he returned from overnight visits with his birth parents, which suggests to me that he wasn't enjoying being tossed around so much.

Since he left, I discovered that one of the court's requirements for his parents to regain custody was that he and his sister be enrolled in day care.

The day care has been fantastic for him. He has begun to use simple sentences and is trying to speak more frequently, and a number of areas where he had regressed, he has regained much of the lost ground. In one or two cases, he has passed where he was when he left us.

He was barely verbal when he left us, and still is for that matter. As for how much he understood, I really have no idea.

Isaac's parents were ordered to attend parenting classes and to receive counseling/therapy for a number of other issues. To my knowledge, they eventually began to comply with the court order and attended these things.

Hopefully one day Isaac will understand what he means to us.





No comments: