Wednesday, March 19, 2003

marketing strategies

I've never tried telemarketing myself, and I don't know what all the various newspapers have done to boost visibility. I do feel my current employer grossly underuses its web presence. One of the newspapers I edit is The Quakertown Eagle, for example. The chain is WCN Newspapers. I would expect something like www.quakertowneagle.com and www.wcnonline.com./ Instead, the web sites are www.myquakertown.com and www.localnewssource.com. Bad name choice, no gain in name recognition.

My impression overall is that they do precious little to promote the papers aside from telemarketing and word of mouth. A previous employer used to use targeted mailings, followed up by phone calls, and experienced a pretty good new-subscriber rate as a result. Many newspapers are employing "Newspaper in Education" programs, but I'm not entirely sure how they work.

No comments: