Sunday, August 03, 2003

foster son update

We haven't seen Isaac in several months. His father, Craig, had been dropping him off here for weekendlong visits earlier this year for several weekends in a row. We put the kabosh on that because we felt we weren't helping Craig by enabling him to avoid his responsibilities as a father; we felt we weren't helping Isaac by letting him always be pulled back into a different family with radically different expectations for behavior; and we didn't feel it was helping Evangeline either since she was losing him again and again each week.

Actually, we didn't exactly "put the kabosh on it," but the blow-by-blow version takes too long to get into. We haven't seen him since early this spring or maybe sometime in February.

This morning, Evangeline looked up at Natasha and said, "Mommy, Isaac is my best friend, and I miss him very much."

This afternoon, she said, "Isaac, we need to send Rachel away so I can have my Lumpy back."

Sometimes, I think I've just had enough. Today is only the second time in my life I've wanted to get drunk and escape for a while.

No comments: