Tuesday, September 26, 2006

brownie troop

It looks like it's going to be my responsibility to get the Brownie Troop going this year. To be honest, I don't know which bothers me more, the responsibility, or the suspicion I have that I'm just going to blow it off.

I'm serious. I've noticed lately that I have an increased tendency to blow off things that take a lot of work, or that move me outside my comfort zone. Things like administration, planning, and coordinating lots of things. That's a rather destructive dynamic in my personality, and while I think it's always been there to an extent, I can't say I'm pleased with how strong it's become lately.

The task of leading the troop, rather than merely providing backup and pitching in, became mine last week, when I was talking with E.E., the leader, troop organizer, and woman involved with the troop last year. E is planning to take some adult education classes, for professional development, making it impossible for her to lead the troop this year. So I'm in the hot seat.

That means it's up to me to:
  • Get last year's Daisies-turned-Brownies to re-enroll;
  • Push for new troop members;
  • Drum up a new co-leader or two;
  • Organize meetings and trips; and
  • Probably take a few more training courses.
E.E. is giving me the contact information for last year's girls, and I've already spoken to a parent or two about the possibility of stepping up to a co-leadership position, but I'll still need to talk with our council rep about a number of other things and get the ball rolling.

I hope I pull it off. It's about time I grew up.

No comments: