Monday, September 01, 2008

reuse: plastic cereal bags

I don't know if they're microwave safe, but the plastic bags that cereal comes in, inside the boxes, make a great substitute for waxed paper.

We had a get-together here at the house on Saturday, where I grilled some burgers. When I made the patties, I laid them between layers of a bag we had finished all the Cheerios in just a couple days earlier. I had pulled the bag apart at its seams, and cut it into quarters, so it was perfect for layering. Make four burgers, slap down a sheet of the bag, make four more burgers, and so on.

No need to buy waxed paper, no need to buy paper towels. I already owned the bags and had no other use for them, so this was ideal. I saved the money and threw out something I would have thrown out anyway, after getting one more use from it.

It feels like a win-win to me.



Copyright © 2008 by David Learn. Used with permission.


1 comment:

JJ said...

The lady who drives the bus at the preschool where I work (or used to drive the bus, she just retired on Friday) always brought her baked goods to the school wrapped in old cereal bags. I always found it ingenius. I, sadly, neither eat cereal or bake, but I always thought it was a good idea.