Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The ongoing irrelevance of Pat Robertson

Pat Robertson's at it again. Once again, he has opened his mouth and let something idiotic tumble out.

To be fair, Jeremiah and the other prophets often did give dire prognostications, although theirs were usually a lot more specific than "There will be a horrible terrorist attack somewhere in the United States, some time in the next year."

Christianity Today has an interesting and prophetic take on things. They compare the moralizing and attention-grabbing stunts of self-professed servants of the Lord with the work of people like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, who are giving billions to make the world a better place for the neediest people in it.

I wish I had a fortune worth billions; I'd love to do what they are doing. In the meantime, I'll settle for what I can do in my own meager way.

I know of a few people who started making fun of Robertston as soon as he inserted his foot into his mouth, but honestly, why bother? Who cares?

The best way to handle Pat at this point isn't a bunch of angry tirades, hoots of ridicule, or even clever commentary. He's become so ridiculous he's impossible to parody. He's way past the fringe. The best thing to do with him is to ignore him.

1 comment:

MJ said...

You do realize that you just didn't ignore him...You know, what's a party without a pinata. I think he needs to be beaten with a stick. Were youthe one that emailed me that polite letter asking him to shut up?