Wednesday, February 06, 2008

hillary clinton and sexism

Interesting and thought-provoking piece. I do agree, wholeheartedly, that much of the anger and "humor" generated by Sen. Clinton's candidacy is due to her being a woman rather than to the positions she's staked out. I'm still annoyed at McCain over his pass on "How do we stop that b****?" question, and I get annoyed by the double standard she's held to on the matter of "too masculine, but not feminine enough." Some of the other things the writer mentioned angered me further: the nutcracker for one. It's a reminder of how far we have to go in this country, for all the progress we have made and are still making.

I also wonder why it's OK to refer to "Hillary" and "Barack," but not to "John," "Mitt" or "Mike."

I have to add, given the results of Super Tuesday, that I am stunned to find that this November -- for the first time in memory -- I probably will not be able to use my favorite line, "If God had meant for us to vote, he would have given us candidates." Whether it's Clinton vs. McCain, or Obama vs. McCain, I'm actually going to be able to vote without holding my nose for once, and I'll be fairly well content no matter which one wins.

But I still hope it's Obama.

No comments: