Friday, May 02, 2008

and so it begins...

This week brought the best evidence yet that middle age is not as far off as it used to be.
It was Tuesday afternoon and I was trying to shepherd Evangeline and Rachel out of the school, dealing with one thing and another. They had to go to the bathroom. They had to get a drink. They had to say goodbye to Rachel's buddy Eliza. Rachel didn't have her sweatshirt. Evangeline didn't have her backpack.
"Where's your backpack?" I asked. She looked at me as if I were crazy. "Where's your backpack?" I repeated tersely. Still no answer, just a blank look. "Evangeline!" I fairly snapped. "Where is your backpack?"
"You're holding it," she said, and at last I followed her gaze to my left hand. There, dangling from two fingers, was Evangeline's Spider-Man backpack.
"Oh," I said, not really sure how to recover from that, but suddenly identifying very closely with my mother. "Right."
I haven't reached the top of the hill, and I'm definitely not over it yet, but there's no question that I've started to climb.

No comments: