Thursday, October 25, 2001

comic strips

There aren't that many strips I really enjoy anymore. "Doonesbury" never recovered from Trudeau's 18-month hiatus and so many other strips languish under limited-joke syndrome, like Garfield's fixation on lasagna, Mondays and what a loser Jon is.

Great strips I've read in my life include "Bloom County," "Calvin & Hobbes" and "The Far Side." I don't really care for "Boondocks" because it seems to me more anger than humor, and "Mutts," while reminiscent in some ways of older comics like "Krazy Kat," just ain't funny enough. James Thurber's doodles, of course, were immensely funny, and still are, but that wasn't properly speaking a comic strip.

Of the cartoons I'm familiar with, I'd have to say the classic "Merry Melodies"/"Looney Tunes" retain their top ranking. True, they're old, but I think they've aged well. The slapstick antics of Daffy and Bugs are just as funny now as they were 40 years ago. Attempts to create new Bugs cartoons in the 1980s failed miserably in my mind; you just can't duplicate Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng. Classic Warner Bros. cartoons are among the best ever made. My wife and I even bought two of the tapes for our daughter to watch.

Incidentally, that itself is a hoot. Every time the Coyote hits the canyone floor after falling off the cliff, Evangeline says "Uh-oh." Her sympathies are on the wrong side, but she definitely understands what's going on.

No comments: