Wednesday, October 24, 2001

Harry Potter and the Plans to See the Movie

My wife and I just made plans to see the new Harry Potter flick on Nov. 17 with a couple friends of ours from church.

 This is "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," for those not paying attention to popular culture. It's an adaptation of a young adult novel about a boy who discover that he's part of an amazing secret world of magic and wizards. It's become a major literary phenomenon.

 Magic of course is verboten in the Bible, and fantastical depictions of it are controversial in fundamentalist and evangelical circles. I can feel the flames of hell licking at the soles of my feet already.

 In the meantime, I highly recommend the four books in the series, provided you can tell the difference between fantasy and reality. The books are nothing short of incredible. J.K. Rowling has my deep and abiding professional jealousy for her success.

No comments: