Sunday, June 23, 2002

the heartbreak of foster parenting

I knew when I got into this situation that I was setting myself up for heartbreak, but that hasn't made the heartbreak any less painful. His parents recently received unsupervised visits, and in the next couple weeks will be taking Isaac for the entire day to the zoo.

As usual, I'm torn on this. If Isaac is returning to his biological parents, he needs to be refamiliarized with them. On the other hand, I think the state is rushing things and is failing to consider what level of progress his parents have or have not made. Every time he's been away for a visit with them, he comes home grumpy as hell, won't eat or sleep properly, and invariably has regressed at least a month in one problem behavior area or another.

I won't unload here in a public forum, but this entire experience has been emotionally draining for me and will be long after it's over, no matter how it's resolved.

No comments: