Sunday, June 23, 2002

father mulcahy

A religion professor I had back in college had a rather interesting take on Mulcahy. The padre, he said, is representational of how many Americans view religion: Nice and pleasant, but generally uninteresting and useless in the real world, except maybe for Last Rites or other moments where you need comfort.

Pretty much sums up Mulcahy's character, actually. I remember one or two episodes where they tried to give him some character, and it was still people like Hawkeye who gave him any meaning, by telling him what to do.

I always considered Father Mulcahy to be one of the least interesting characters overall. Even now that we have the first season on video, my opinion remains the samem even with the limited characterization I'm noticing.

No comments: