Tuesday, September 23, 2003

job update redux

I found out tonight from a co-worker that he's not supposed to tell anyone, but he's going to be going up to our Bloomfield office for that position I mentioned four months ago. It's going to be his job to get the office into shape, oversee the other managing editors, and so on.

I'm happy for him, but I'm a little disappointed that they've shafted me like this after leading me to think I was the top contender for that post. Tim, our editor in chief, even went as far as telling in front of one of the owners that he considers me flat-out his best managing editor.

Actually, I'm not just a little disappointed by this arrangement. I'm furious. Nathan -- the guy they are moving -- is among other things, fairly lazy about his job, incredibly arrogant and know-it-all-ish, and the way he speaks about women, he's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

My best bet is that the decision was largely pecuniary. I already make $35K, and said I would need to make at least $40K if they were going to give me added responsibilities. Nathan on the other hand makes about $26K. He'll be making under $30K in Bloomfield office, and the reporter they've moving into his spot will probably make about $26K, while they'll replace her with someone they'll pay their dirt-cheap rate of $20K. If they figure I'll also get pissed off and quit, they can probably save another $15K when they replace me with a college graduate.

I don't want to be motivated just by money, and I don't think I am. But it's hard to feed a family of four on what I make here, the hours are brutal, and the work load keeps increasing. They're about to eliminate the production shop and have the managing editors handle all the pagination duties as well, as a cost-cutting measure. It's not like we don't already have to write four to six stories and four editorials a week, plus edit and lay out two whole papers.

I'm really sick of this. I sent out two resumes before I came to work today, on top of the two I sent out last week. I need another job, and I need it to be one where I can settle in for an extended period. Or I need my wife to find gainful employment so I can stay at home with the girls.

Something has to give. I just can't take this anymore.

No comments: