Monday, April 29, 2002

Getting rid of the feral cats next door

If you're looking to adopt a cat, swing by some time and I'll be happy to give you a whole clowder.

There is a colony of feral cats in my next-door neighbor's yard. Cats qua cats are annoying enough, but these bring fleas into my yard, where the dog and children can get them. They dig up my flowers, and I'm concerned about my wife getting taxioplasmosis or however that's spelled if they decide to have their epiphanies in my vegetable garden.

They do take care of field mice, which is a plus.

I'm torn between calling the city so the animal-control officer will remove the cats, and leaving out a bowl of antifreeze for them to drink.* The first is the proper course of action, but ultimately is ineffective. The latter is quick and painless, but rather final and not likely to make me friends with the animal-rights goons if word gets out.

* Not really.

No comments: