Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Terry Moore's 'Strangers in Paradise'

I lost interest in "Strangers in Paradise" for a while.

"Strangers in Paradise" is an independent comic book written and illustrated by Terry Moore, and published by his privately owned Abstract Studios. It tells the story principally of two women, Katchoo and Francine, and their friend David. The comic won an Eisner Award in 1996 for its second collected volume, "I Dream of You," so it is a pretty impressive comic.

I lost interest somewhere around the time of volume 10, "Tropic of Desire," since the story seemed to be going nowhere. It had settled into the same old back-and-forth, with loads of Francine introspection and internal growth but very little change in her situation, and loads of plot threads Terry had dropped in the middle, as if he had forgotten about them.

One was Francine's job with an ad agency. Another centered on the former secretary of Francine's ex-boyfriend, Freddie Femur. The former secretary was letting Francine and Katchoo stay in her garage apartment, and it was implied she had a crush on Katchoo, who is gay or bisexual and in love with Francine.

There were other loose or dropped threads too.

Moore also kept trying to top the story in "I Dream of You," which revealed that David's sister Darcy was the head of an international crime syndicate. The result? Things kept getting more and more melodramatic and further and further from what originally had attracted me the comic.

That's not to say the comic didn't still have some strengths. There was an issue involving a plane crash, and the opening page was absolutely brutal. I'll also never forget the issue that made Freddie some depth by showing how devastated he was when his wife left him. But overall I felt the quality had declined, and my interest was waning.

Enter my wife.

Although she has read several other comics I've encouraged her to -- Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" being the most notable -- she remains a fan of "Strangers and Paradise" and continues to read it. At times she has hounded me to get the latest trade paperback.

Last Christmas, she bought me three new trade paperback collections for herself for Christmas, and I discovered that things have been moving. Moore brought Francine's story arc to its conclusion, did something interesting with Casey Femur, changed Katchoo's situation from the bored artist waiting for Francine and really developed David Qin's character.

So, long story short, I'm reading it again.

No comments: