Sunday, October 06, 2002

The garden experiences crop failure

In the world of gardening, where you supposed to reap more than you sow, I managed to suffer a loss.

I thought everyone would find it amusing to know that although I planted close to 10 pounds of seed potatoes this spring, I harvested only about two pounds of potatoes this fall.

Sigh.

Maybe next year ...

There's no question the soil is deficient in nutrients. I piled compost on to keep the stalks growing, but the consensus seems to be that I planted them about six weeks late and didn't add enough compost.

My brother, knowing my commitment to organic gardening, enjoyed commenting that I didn't use enough Miracle Gro.

There's a trick with tires I intend to try next year. You keep filling them with compost (or straw, if that's your preference) and piling a new tire on top until the end of the growing season.


No comments: