Saturday, November 29, 2003

The pros and cons of being a foster parent

Was it worth it to take care of someone else's child for nine months? Well let's see:

1) It took a heavy, bitter toll on our marriage. A friend had asked me to do a story for a web site he's the editor of, and even promised me payment for it. Things were so bad I couldn't find anything to say that was remotely insightful or witty.

2) Evangeline was unable to sleep for weeks, out of grief.

3) She also was convinced she was next to go, especially when we had to leave her with friends when her sister was born.

4) It's plagued me with bad nights like this one where I can't sleep because I keep thinking about him and feeling sorry for myself.

5) Other things I don't want to share.

6) Isaac learned how to talk, how to love, how to be loved, and started to develop properly.

7) This entire time has been a period of learning to lean ever more heavily on Christ and to reach a deeper understanding of his grace and what it means when he says, "Pick up your cross and follow me."

In light of 6 and 7, I would have to say it was worth it, and we've had our reward already. I also wouldn't mind doing it again, as long as Natasha is willing. In light of 1 to 5, I'd have to say someone would have to be nuts even to consider it.

No comments: