Tuesday, November 20, 2001

The honest questions of children

I have found that nothing sets people up better than the innocent curiosity of children.

My wife is breastfeeding our first child. One day while we were at a friend's house, my wife was nursing the baby when our friend's 5-year-old son, Dré, came over and watched her in utter fascination.

Filled with curiosity, he asked my wife about nursing. "Where do you get milk for the baby? Do you just drink a lot of milk and it all gathers there?"

When my wife was about seven months pregnant, we were visiting some friends' house for a Bible study. After the study was over, our friends' 4-year-old daughter came over, and as children are wont to do, she petted my wife's stomach and talked to the baby inside.

Rose's father is a little portly, and so was caught a little off-guard when Rose lifted up his shirt and asked, "Do you have a baby in there, daddy?"

No comments: